Apple TV 2 is pretty old technology compared to Apple TV 3. The new Apple TV 4 is an even bigger evolutionary leap for the TV console. However, many Apple TV users have yet to exchange their old device for a new one. If you were happy with your Apple TV 2, there is no reason to make a change. Furthermore, some people are buying Apple TV 2 specifically to jailbreak the system. There are multiple ways to engineer an tethered jailbreak of TV 2. Seas0nPass 0.9.7 is one of the best ways to jailbreak the device this way, since it supports OS X El Capitan.
Apple successfully closed the jailbreaks for Apple TV after TV 2. However, the Apple TV 2 was jailbroken several different times. The newest Apple TV 2 jailbreak is via Seas0nPass 0.9.7 (beta), which recently released its latest firmware. This jailbreak tool is currently in its beta stages. You can bet that it will be updated in the future with additional performance options and fixes. Seas0nPass requires a tethered boot,, meaning you must have the boot tethered every time you restarted Apple TV 2. This version of Seas0nPass adds support for OS X El Capitan. That means this jailbreaking tool is currently available for Mac users only.
Seas0nPass is from FireCore. This release defaults to 5.3 (untethered). You can install 6.2.1 (tethered) by right-clicking the Create IPSW button.
How to Install
First, make sure your TV setup is prepared with the following:
- Latest version of iTunes
- Download Seas0nPass 0.9.7
- Micro USB Cable
- No other devices connected to your PC
1. Download Seas0nPass and extract the zipped content, launching the Seas0nPass tool
2. Select the “create IPSW” button to initiate the jailbreak process
3. When you see the prompt to connect your Apple TV to your Mac using a USB cable, make sure the power cable remains disconnected. When the light on the front of the TV starts to flash, point the remote at the TV and hold MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons at the same time, for seven seconds.
4. Apple TV software will be downloaded, creating a custom jailbroken software file.
5. The Seas0nPass tool will complete the restore automatically and confirm when it is done.
When the jailbreak is successful, you will see the red FireCore logo appearing in place of Settings icon.
To Complete a Tethered Boot:
6. Your Apple TV must be disconnected from PC for a brief moment after restoring the tethered boot process.
7. Open Seas0nPass and select the “Boot Tethered” option.
8. When the system prompts you, plug in your TV to the PC with the USB cord. Wait for the rapid flashing light and once you see them, go ahead and connect the power cable. Next hold the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons simultaneously, for seven seconds.
9. Seas0nPass will complete the tethered boot automatically. Once the process is complete, remove the USB cable and connect HDMI cable. When you see a pop-up message informing you that the tethered boot is complete, remove the USB cable, then connect the HDMI cable before the light on the front of the TV stops flashing.
Once these steps are complete, you have a jailbroken Apple TV 2.