Today, Apple officially released iOS 6 for public, which brings a major and free update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Now you can download iOS 6 directly for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch for free. You can download iOS 6 software update via an over-the-air (OTA) or through iTunes for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4/3GS, iPad, iPod Touch from the links below.
iOS 6 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, third- and fourth-generation iPod Touches including iPod touch 5G, iPad, iPad 2 and ‘The New iPad’ (iPad 3). As usual, users with older iOS devices remain on older versions of the system software. The build is marked as10A405 for iPhone 5, 10A406 for iPod touch 5G and 10A403 for rest of the iOS devices.
Hit the jump for direct iOS 6 download links to IPSW firmware files…
iOS 6 is the latest and greatest OS for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. It’s claimed to bring 200+ new features to these devices. Some of these new features include: Apple’s own 3D Maps app, Passbook app, improved Siri, Facebook Integration and more. Checkout our list of iOS 6 Features.
some major features in iOS 6:
Siri: Coming on iPod touch and iPad - Apple has extended Siri support to the iPad and iPod Touch but specifically only on iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). It can now do sports scores, stats, standings and schedules. Enhancements to data on restaurants, in-Siri reviews from Yelp, reservations and lots more. Siri knows movie theater listings, integrates with Rotten Tomatoes reviews and trailers. Siri digital assistant can even launch apps: “Play Temple Run.” With iOS 6, new languages support has been added – English/French forCanada, Spanish for Spain/Mexico/U.S., Italian, Korean.
Phone Updates: Call Me Later - With iOS 6 installed on iPhone, in addition to answering and declining a call as usual, you can now press a button to reply with a pre-defined or custom message to call them back later.
Camera: Panorama Mode - Apple SVP Philip Schiller demonstrated the feature during iPhone 5 launch. Just by swiping your iPhone vertically as you take a photo, Panorama lets you create panoramic photos. Panorama is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).
Facebook: Deeper Integration - Like Twitter was integrated in iOS 5, Facebook is now tightly integrated into iOS 6. Without much hassle, you can share photos without launching a Facebook App, and your friend’s profile information is also integrated into your contacts, including their birthdays and email addresses.
FaceTime: Video Chat over 3G - FaceTime now works over cellular and unifies phone number and Apple ID. Incoming FaceTime calls to phone number can be answered on Mac as well. FaceTime over a 3G cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability.
New app: Passbook - It can handle tickets and boarding passes, customer loyalty/discount cards, movie ticket apps, etc. When you’re near Starbucks, card pops up. Cards are live too and if airline gate changes, virtual boarding pass will alert you.
- iOS 6 requires iTunes 10.7 or later: Download iTunes 10.7
- Jailbreakers and unlockers must avoid iOS 6 update until further notice.
iOS 6 Compatible Devices
iOS 6 firmware is available for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPod Touch 5G, iPod Touch 4G. Click the iOS 6 download link mentioned under your concerned iDevice(s)…
Here’s how to update to iOS 6.
Download iOS 6 Firmware
You can download iOS 6 firmware for your desired device from the links below:
- iPhone 5 GSM – iPhone5,1_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 5 CDMA – iPhone5,2_6.0_10A405_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 4S – iPhone4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 4 GSM – iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 4 CDMA – iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone 3GS – iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- iPad 3 – iPad 3 WiFi – iPad 3 GSM – iPad 3 CDMA
- iPad 2 – iPad 2 WiFi – iPad 2 GSM – iPad 2 CDMA
- iPod Touch 5G – iPod5,1_6.0_10A406_Restore.ipsw
- iPod Touch 4G – iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
How to Update to iOS 6
Make sure your iTunes is up-to-date. iOS 6 requires iTunes 10.7 or later.
Check your iOS version: Settings > General > About > Version
*** Direct iOS update is Not recommended for iPhone unlockers.
Method 1 – Over-The-Air
iOS 5 or later firmware running devices, including iOS 6 betas/GM, can be updated over-the-air (OTA)
- Go to Settings app > General > Software Update
You’ll be presented with the update details;
- Tap on Download and Install;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions;
- It’ll then begin downloading iOS 61 update. Download will take some time depending on your network connection speed, keep an eye on the progress bar;
- Once the iOS 6 update is downloaded, tap the Install button;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions again;
- Apple will verify the update installed.
Method 2 – ITunes Update
- Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to your computer via USB cable;
- Open iTunes 10.7 or later;
- iOS 6 availability message will appear;
- Hit the “Download and Install” button;
- iTunes will download and install iOS 6 on your iDevice.
Method 2 – ITunes Restore
- Download iOS 6 firmware for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch;
- Connect your iDevice to your computer and open iTunes;
- Select your device from the left navigation pane on iTunes;
- Hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes;
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 6 IPSW file. Let the restore process complete.